Thursday 31 July 2014

Do you want to be free?

Hell is a state of mind. It may be a real place as well. People in war zones would say so. I don’t know. And I sure as hell don’t want to find out.

I don’t think I have ever been to hell. But, as a human being, I have definitely been to other realms. And I can vouch for the fact that they are real – real states of mind, that is.

Do you know any hungry ghosts? Have you ever been one? I have.

Hungry ghosts roam around searching in vain for food and drink to satisfy their endless hunger. And even when they find it, it does not satisfy, it only brings more craving… This is the addict or alcoholic. Or the person addicted to something – to their body image, another person, social status, excitement. Or the most common of all – shopping.

Some people live like animals. They only care about their bodily needs, protection, shelter, comfort, food. They’re nice to their family and friends – but so are animals. They don’t see beyond their immediate gratification. They exist from hand to mouth without any appetite for higher self-realisation.

We live in the human realm. That’s because we are human beings!

You didn’t need me to tell you that – or did you?

Speaking for myself, if I’m honest, I would have to admit that sometimes I forget I’m a human being. I forget what it really means to be a human being.

I get up, walk the dog, go to work, kiss my wife. But sometimes I’m asleep. I am not really conscious of what it means – what the true meaning of being a human being is. What my true potential is. It’s like sleep walking.

I try to remain conscious, grateful. Remembering that this human life is short and precious. That it’s going to end and I don’t know when. That I could do a great, great deal with it, if I set my mind to it. But often I don’t bother. Which is a waste.

I’m in a human existence, but not truly living a human life to the full. Another state of mind – or should I say ‘mindlessness’?

Next realm up – the demi-gods.  And there’s plenty of them where I work, I can tell you. They seem to have it pretty good. They have power and prestige. People look up to them, run around doing their will.

But are they happy? Perhaps political scheming, watching their back, looking for the one-upmanship opportunity make them happy, but I doubt it. They promote themselves too hard for someone who’s happy with them self.

If I was a movie star, a celebrity, living in a mansion with twenty cars, never having to work – then I’d be happy, for sure. Apart from the fear of losing my looks, of getting old. The stress of constantly checking my image. Having my relationships dissected in the newspapers.  And the trips to the Betty Ford Clinic – I’m sure it’d be absolutely blissful!

The fundamental wish of all living beings is to be free from suffering. Yet all these realms – all these states of mind – entail a certain amount of suffering.

So we need to go beyond them to find a place free from suffering. And we can only do that from the human realm.

It is slightly ironic that the real meaning of human life is to cease to exist as merely human but to realise our divine potential to escape suffering.

With a pure intention and sincere practice it is definitely possible escape the cycle of suffering  and move beyond it to a realm of pure peace, happiness and freedom.

To be truly human is wish to be free, to  be divine.

I have created some personal decision-making tools, one of which is based on the Buddhist Wheel of Life, where these realms are described. They are free at www.thelifeeditor.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment